Sunday 29 May 2011

Birk Fell

Buckden Pike behind the trig on Birk fell

        A dismal morning, high winds and driving rain, so I wasn't going to venture too far. I still had the Marilyn of Birk Fell to climb, so that was why I found myself sat in the car at Arncliffe in Littondale, as it rocked on its springs. At least the rain had stopped, so off I went. I walked up onto the ridge helped by the westerly, once on the ridge the wall provided a bit of shelter. The path hugs the wall for most of the way thank goodness, after a couple of miles the trig appears to the east of the path. This however, according to the book isn't the summit. The actual highpoint of Birk Fell is about another mile further on, it is marked by a small cairn. I retraced my steps to the bridleway, and followed it down to the hamlet of Litton. The valley was sheltered and gentle meadow paths led me back to the car. This completes the ascent of the Marilyns in the dales so its time to move on to pastures new in the search for more summits.
Summit of Birk Fell 

No comments:

Post a Comment