Thursday 1 October 2015

BMW Day Ride Over The North Yorks Moors to Whitby

A good forecast, and possibly the last really good day off I'd have on the motorbike. It's been a while since I've visited the North Yorks Moors and Whitby, so off I went!

The best way for me to get over to Wensleydale is via Ingleton and Ribblehead.
The viaduct looking magnificent, not a cloud in the sky!

Wensleydale. my favourite of the Yorkshire Dales.

All the way down Wensleydale to Masham, a coffee in the square as I watched the world go by sat in the amazingly warm sun.

Then it was across the Vale of York and over Sutton Bank. I turned off to pass Rievaulx Abbey...guarded by geese by the look of things.

Leaving the A170 at Kirbymoorside I headed onto the North York Moors, lots of heather was being burnt. here between Gillamoor and Rosedale.

I stopped on Rosedale Bank near the old kilns at the Ironstone works for a late lunch.

I just sat and admired the wonderful view up Rosedale.

I rode into Rosedale and then back out and over to Egton Bridge. 

Just a few miles further and I was in Whitby, pleasingly free of crowds!
Heres the abbey seen through the old whale jawbones caught in less enlightened times.

Looking back to Whitby proper the South side of the harbour a mass of pantile roofs.

Leaving Whitby, I followed the coast, through Sandsend and making a visit to Runswick Bay. This view is from Port Mulgrave...a much quieter spot. I lingered for a while before heading back West.

Riding over into Commondale then Kildale, the light was fading. The air was heavy with smoke as well from the heather burning.
I rode home via Scotch Corner and the A66.
A great day....glad I kept the BMW...nearly sold it earlier in the year because I wasn't using it enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment